As operators plan for the restart of indoor trading next month, leading music and technology providers Startle and Rock and Roll Bingo are offering pubs and bars across the country a free month of their popular music quiz to help them hit the high notes on reopening.
Pubs can claim 10 free games of Rock and Roll Bingo to host anytime during the month after reopening on 17 May, with no ongoing commitment. Startle and Rock and Roll Bingo are also putting on a special, one-off National Game on Friday, 21 May, with a £1,000 cash prize for one lucky winner, to encourage high customer participation in this event, as part of a wider, nationwide celebration of pubs reopening.
Rock and Roll Bingo has become one of the on-trade’s favourite entertainments. The game is a proven traffic-builder that’s fun for customers of all ages to play and easy for pubs to host. Just as importantly for post-lockdown trading, it’s completely Covid-safe: customers play on their phones, at their table, with no need for a host in the pub, or pens and paper.
All that’s required for licensees to take part in the Get Up Again offer is to download the Rock and Roll Bingo app and register their pub, and customers play along in the venue through their phones – all explained on the Get Up Again web page. Pubs will receive tokens to host 10 games at a time of their choosing across the month, including the National Game on 21 May. Startle is supporting pubs with hints and tips as well as promotional assets to turn every game into a ‘must attend’ for local customers and a standout success for the pub.
Startle CEO Adam Castleton said: “Pubs have been pushed to the edge over the last year, and responded with resilience, innovation and, above all, compassion for those in their communities impacted by the pandemic – despite often facing huge uncertainty themselves.
“We’re thanking licensees and their teams for everything they’ve done to help their communities come through this incredibly tough time, and helping them to celebrate reopening with their local customers. There’s no better way than the light-hearted fun and toe-tapping tracks that so many people have missed while pubs were closed, and we’re looking forward to pubs registering for free games as part of their reopening programme.”
Come Together: National Game part of reopening celebration
Startle and Rock and Roll Bingo are designating Friday 21 May at 8.00 pm for a National Game, and are encouraging pubs to make it part of their broader reopening celebrations with their local communities.
Castleton said: “If the last year has taught us anything, it’s that we’re all stronger when we’re part of something larger, as so many pubs have shown during the pandemic with their community support. The National Game will see thousands of customers playing along together, creating that sense of community across the land. We think it’s a fitting way to mark the reopening of pubs as they welcome back their customers.
“It’s up to pubs how they choose to mark this occasion, but from our conversations with pubs, we know they are making plans to celebrate reopening, which might include inviting local NHS workers and other heroes of the pandemic to thank them for their help. Ultimately, it’s about drawing a line under the lockdown and looking forward to happier times!”
It’s All in the Game: licensee comment
Alex O’Neill, operator manager at the Boar’s Head, a Hawthorn pub in St Helens, said: “We can’t wait to reopen and I’m confident Rock and Roll Bingo will be really popular. It’s the perfect entertainment for customers returning to the pub; some much-needed light relief after these months of lockdown that brings people of all ages together and, for people who might be feeling cautious about social contact, the fact that it’s Covid-safe is a big plus.
“I’m planning to host regular Rock and Roll Bingo nights in the pub using the free games, and expecting around 40-50 customers to take part, with a bar tab as a prize for the winner. We’ve been running it weekly on Facebook during lockdown and it’s been popular, but it’ll be more fun in the pub as we can play the music through our system and have some banter in the break between games.
“The National Game on 21 May will be a great way to mark our indoor opening that week, so we’ll definitely be promoting that to customers and expecting a good turnout – and a great night!”
Gonna Make This a Night to Remember
Why not use the National Game of Rock and Roll Bingo on Friday 21 May as the base for a bigger celebration of your pub’s reopening? Every pub is individual and what works in one might not be right for another, but here are a few ‘starters for 10′ from Startle:
- Invite one of your long-standing regulars to pull the first pint on the evening – as a way of marking your pub’s official reopening
- Get people tapping their toes before the National Game starts with our fun ‘Get Up Again’ playlist below. Or ask your customers what tracks they’d like to hear and play the one with the most votes just before you start the game?
- Create a themed celebratory cocktail for the night, perhaps adding a small optional donation which goes to the local NHS or other charity
- Show your gratitude to local NHS staff, teachers and other key workers by putting aside a table in your pub for them – and perhaps throwing in a bottle of wine or a first round of drinks on the house
- Many MPs have been supportive of the great work that pubs have done during lockdown – so why not invite your MP to be part of reopening? You can send an email to their office easily via this website
- Local press and radio may also be interested in what you’re doing to mark reopening and thank the local community. Invite them to take part in the National Game, and send a press release and photo from the evening soon afterwards.
- Create a buzz on social media – before, during and after the event. Don’t forget to add the hashtag #getupagain
To find out more about the Rock and Roll Bingo offer, visit www.getupagain.co.uk.
Startle’s ‘Get Up Again’ playlist
- Tubthumping – Chumbawamba
- Freedom – George Michael
- The Boys Are Back In Town – Thin Lizzy
- Girls Just Wanna have Fun – Cyndi Lauper
- Get This Party Started – P!nk
- Where Have You Been? – Rhianna
- How Long? – Ace
- Get Back – The Beatles
- Things Can Only Get Better – D:Ream
- I Don’t Want to Miss A Thing – Aerosmith
PLEASE SHARE THIS: