Top tips from industry experts on how to create the perfect sleep environment for your B&B, Hotel or Holiday let
Wondering how you can give your guests a great night’s sleep?
Well look no further!
We spoke to two leading industry experts to find out how you can create the perfect sleeping environment to provide the best night’s sleep you can for your guests.
Simon Williams is the Marketing & Membership Manager for the National Bed Federation, the recognised trade association representing bed manufacturers and suppliers in the UK. The NBF provides professional and unbiased advice on everything you need to know about beds.
Andrew Thorpe is the Divisional Contracts & Export Director for Sleepeezee, one of the UK’s most well-known bed manufacturers, producing handcrafted luxury beds and mattresses. Sleepeezee work closely with hotels, b&bs and other hospitality businesses to provide premium bed options.
Andrew and Simon have put together a helpful list of top tips on how you can create the perfect sleeping environment for your guests.
Top Tips for creating the perfect sleeping environment for your guests
Blackout Curtains in your B&B
• Simon Williams said: “Ensure the room can be made as dark as possible for sleeping. You can use blackout curtains or blinds, or you could even buy some inexpensive eye-masks for your guests.”
• Andrew Thorpe said: “Make sure it can really be ‘lights out’. Installing blackout curtains is important to ensure guests can enjoy undisturbed sleep.”
Lighting your B&B
• Andrew said: “Use soft lighting and dimmer switches to allow guests to adjust the lighting before bedtime.”
• Simon said: “Avoid anything with an LED display, including clocks. This type of light makes it hard to fall asleep and be disruptive.”
Temperature in your bedrooms of your B&B
• S: “Make sure the room isn’t too hot or too cold. If anything, keep it slightly cool. Overly hot rooms are one of the major complaints in hotels.”
• A: “Sleeping hot is one of the leading causes of insomnia so allowing guests to set the temperature between 16 and 20 degrees is ideal.”
Quality Feel to your B&B bedrooms
• A: “Your body is in near-constant contact with the sheets. Providing high-quality, soft and breathable sheets will keep your guests cool whilst adding that luxury feel.”
Sound proof your B&B Bedrooms
• S: “Make the room as sound-proof as possible as noise is a major sleep disruptor. Double glazed windows are a necessity if the room is near a busy road. Also think about the sound insulation of the room, for example, fit a good quality door to reduce noise from other guests.”
• A: “Eliminating noise is important. Guests are in unfamiliar surroundings so rooms need to be quiet and peaceful. Invest in double glazed windows and lined curtains to reduce noise levels.”
Colour of your B&B Bedrooms
• A: “Harness the power of colour to ensure the decor is calm and neutral so that guests aren’t distracted.”
• S: “Avoid bright colours, such as reds, which are quite stimulating and less conducive to a good night’s sleep. Use muted and pastel colours which are more calming.”
Furnishings in your B&B Bedrooms
• S: “Keep the room clutter free and minimally furnished. Cluttered and untidy bedrooms won’t help a good night’s sleep.”
Smells in the perfect sleep environment
• A: “This is one of our most powerful senses, with links to memory, mood and energy levels. Some studies have shown that lavender lowers blood pressure and heart rate, which induces a calming effect. This is why some of our customers use lavender scents in their rooms.”
• S: “Some smells can make you feel more relaxed and calm. Use diffusers or sprinkle potpourri with essential oils like lavender or geranium.”
Decor in the perfect sleep environment
• S: “Putting some artwork, plants or flowers in the bedroom can help your guests feel more relaxed.”
Invest in the Right Bed
READ OUR FEATURE ON PICKING THE RIGHT BED FOR YOUR B&B
• S: “Make sure you offer a good quality, comfortable and supportive bed with decent pillows. The bigger the better too, for less partner disturbance. Spend as much as you can afford on your bed; It’s where your guests will spend the majority of their stay.”
• A: “Invest in the highest quality mattress you can afford, as well as mattress protectors which help to keep the bed as clean and hygienic as possible.”
The Luxury BnB team are in the process of creating a guide to ‘Picking the Best Bed’ with the help of industry experts.
Keep an eye out for our August Magazine where you can learn what you need to look for when purchasing new beds.
Be the first to comment